The Torbert family tradition of service to the Greater Dover community began in December 1918, with the following announcement in the DelawareState News: "William Pritchett, Dover's well known and efficient undertaker, has associated with him William Torbert... who comes into this community highly recommended,thoroughly capable and reliable with 15 years experience in all branches of the latest improved, modern methods in embalming and funeral directing." In 1919 Mr. Torbert moved to 61 South Bradford St, where his philosophy of excellence in service continues today. Torbert Funeral Chapel has seen the transition from horse drawn coach to motor car, in fact, the carriage lights from our last horse drawn hearse have been electrified and grace the entrance to our downtown funeral chapel. Four generations of Torbert men and women have set the standard for superior, dignified service to their community.The Torbert's take great pride in their company motto, "Our family serving your family, since 1918". Since our founding we have served 7,000 families in this community.
The founder's grandson, William C. Torbert, is CEO of Torbert Funeral
Chapels. He has been licensed in funeral service since 1955. In
addition, he has served his community for 34 years, beginning with
election as county coroner in 1960, and culminating with his retirement
from the Delaware State Senate in 1994.
Bill's wife, Doris, has been active in funeral service since 1972. She represents Forethought Life Insurance.
Their sons William Covell Torbert and Gary J. Wallick represent the
fourth generation of Torbert men and women dedicated to funeral
service. Bill Jr. is President and General Manager of Torbert Funeral
Chapel. He is licensed to practice funeral service in Delaware and
Maryland. Gary is licensed to practice funeral service in Delaware and
is Business Manager and Director of Cremation Services.
Torbert Funeral Chapels and Crematories are supported by professional
full-time staff including Funeral Director Michael C. Tocchetti, David
A. Bose, manager of Capitol Crematory and Friends Forever Pet Cremation
In 1989, Bill Jr. led the founding of Capitol Crematory Service,
enhancing Torbert Funeral Chapel's ability to better serve their
cremation clientele. In 1999, Gary developed Friends Forever Pet
Cremation Service, expanding the physical crematory plant, and
purchasing specialized equipment for the cremation of domestic pets.
Also in 1999, the Torbert Family was very proud to open their new South
Dover Branch Chapel. The new funeral chapel gives our client families a
choice of locations, and helps us better serve their needs. The new
chapel features seating for 250 with ample parking on site.